We work with seniors in the early to middle stages of dementia to preserve their communication and cognitive functioning for as long as possible.We also treat individuals with cognitive-communication deficits due to traumatic brain injury, stroke, brain tumor, Parkinson’s disease and other conditions. The goal of treatment is to maximize the quality of life and communication success for each patient. Some of our treatment approaches include:
- Family and caregiver training in communication techniques
- Memory aids such as memory wallets and pictures to help individuals in their daily activities
- Assistive technology to promote independence, manage potential safety risks around the home and reduce stress. A few examples include picture phones, calendar clocks and automated pill dispensers.
- Computerized brain-training apps such as Constant Therapy® to enhance memory,
attention, reasoning and speed of thought processing
- Memory strategies to recall information that’s important to the individual
- Environmental changes to facilitate communication such as using written cues, reducing background noise and visual distractions